AASHTO M 226:2012 Standard Specification for Viscosity-Graded Asphalt Cement.
This specification covers asphalt binders graded by viscosity at 60°C (140°F) for use in pavement construction. Three sets of limits are offered in this specification. The purchaser shall specify the applicable table of limits. In the event the purchaser does not specify limits, Table 1 shall apply.
The values stated in SI units are to be regarded as the standard.
The asphalt binder shall be prepared for crude petroleum by suitable methods.
The asphalt binder shall be homogeneous, free from water, and shall not foam when heated to
3.2. The asphalt binders shall conform to the requirements given in Tables 1, 2, or 3, as specified by the purchaser.
4. METHODS OF SAMPLING AND TESTING
4.1. Sampling and testing of asphalt binders shall be in accordance with the following standard methods of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials:
• R 66, Sampling Asphalt Materials
• T 44, Solubility of Bituminous Materials
• T 48, Flash and Fire Points by Cleveland Open Cup
• T 49, Penetration of Bituminous Materials
• T 51, Ductility of Asphalt Materials
• T 102, Spot Test of Asphaltic Materials
• T 179, Effect of Heat and Air on Asphalt Materials (Thin-Film Oven Test)
• T 201, Kinematic Viscosity of Asphalts (Bitumens)
• T 202, Viscosity of Asphalts by Vacuum Capillary Viscometer
• T 240, Effect of Heat and Air on a Moving Film of Asphalt Binder (Rolling Thin-Film Oven Test)
5.1. Asphalt binder; viscosity-graded.AASHTO M 226 pdf download.