AASHTO M 170:2014 Standard Specification for Reinforced Concrete Culvert, Storm Drain, and Sewer Pipe.
This specification covers reinforced concrete pipe intended to be used for the conveyance of sewage, industrial wastes, and storm water, and for the construction of culverts.
A complete metric companion to M 170 has been developed—M I 70M; therefore, no metric equivalents are presented in this specification.
Note 1—This specification is a manufacturing and purchase specification only, and does not include requirements for bedding, backfill, or the relationship between field load condition and the strength classification of pipe. However, experience has shown that the successful performance of this product depends upon the proper selection of the class of pipe, type of bedding and backfill. and care that installation conforms to the construction specifications. Owners of the reinforced concrete pipe specified herein are cautioned that they must correlate the field requirements with the class of pipe specified and provide inspection at the construction site.
Note 2—Attention is called to the specification for reinforced concrete D-load culvert, storm drain, and sewer pipe (M 242M/M 242).
AA SIITO Standards:
• M 6, Fine Aggregate for Hydraulic Cement Concrete
• M 31M/M31, Deformed and Plain Carbon-Steel Bars for Concrete Reinforcement
• M 32M/M32, Steel Wire, Plain, for Concrete Reinforcement
• M 55M/M55, Steel Welded Wire Reinforcement, Plain, for Concrete
• M 80, Coarse Aggregate for Hydraulic Cement Concrete
• M 85, Portland Cement
• M 6M/M 86, Nonreinforced Concrete Sewer, Storm Drain, and Culvert Pipe
• M 154M/M 154, Air-Entrain ing Admixtures for Concrete
• M 170M, Reinforced Concrete Culvert, Storm Drain, and Sewer Pipe [Metric]
• M 194M/M194. Chemical Admixtures for Concrete
• M 221M/M221, Steel Welded Wire Reinforcement. Deformed, for Concrete
• M 225M/M225. Steel Wire, Deformed, for Concrete Reinforcement
• M 240M/M240. Blended Hydraulic Cement
• M 242M/M242, Reinforced Concrete D-Load Culvert, Storm Drain, and Sewer Pipe
• M 262, Concrete Pipe and Related Products
• M 295, Coal Fly Ash and Raw or Calcined Natural Pozzolan for Use in Concrete
3.1. Definitions- For definitions of terms relating to concrete pipe, see M 262.
4.1. Pipe manufactured in accordance with this specification shall be of five classes identified as Class I, Class II, Class II, Class IV, and Class V. The corresponding strength requirements are prescribed in Tables 1 to 5. AASHTO M 170 pdf download.